I was found by a kind, sweet woman who does wildlife rescue.
I was so sick, I could barely open my eyes.
She took me inside, cradling me in her arms and made me warm and comfortable.
I opened my eyes and looked at her and thanked her for making my last few minutes as comfortable as possible.
But I was too sick to keep fighting.
I had eaten a mouse that was poisoned, and it made me very sick.
I closed my yellow eyes for the last time and went somewhere else.
Please, all I ask is never to use poison to kill the mice.
Poison kills owls, like me.
All I wanted was a mouse for dinner.
I died today…
Poison is a very real problem for our wildlife. Last year, our center received an owl just like the one above who had eaten a poisoned mouse. It was nursed for months. It couldn’t be saved. It eventually died too.
This past week, we received a raccoon who also was the victim of poison.
If your beloved dog or cat caught a poisoned mouse, vole, or mole, it would die as well.
Please don’t use poison to kill mice and rats. The fallout is tragic.
(Note: I read the story above for the first time in a newsletter from another wildlife rehab center in the Sequim area. I do not know who wrote it or where it originated. Image is from nwraptorcenter.com)