A Smidge of an Update

Downtown River Run in Reno

I’m not going to write a big recap about this race.  Just know it was hard.  Probably the hardest 10K I’ve ever completed.  Because of Reno’s higher elevation, I couldn’t catch my breath after the first mile (this happened in SLC as well, after mile 6).  James also spent most of his race in the Red Zone because of the lack of oxygen.  But that’s not important.  We went, ran a hard race, and had a fabulous time.

The Whole 30

A couple of weeks ago, I had looked into The Whole 30 food program.  Have you heard of it? Basically for 30 days, you eat nothing but whole foods, nothing processed and nothing with sugar.  I get that it’s a variant of the low-carb craze, but really not so much.  Potatoes are whole foods, pulled right out of the ground, so they work (but they don’t work in the low-carb diets).

The premise is to detox your body from all the food processing that goes on, and then slowly reintroduce foods back into your diet to see how your body reacts.  If a certain food doesn’t make you feel so good, then guess what!  You don’t eat that food no mo’!  I needed something to get me off all of the sweets, desserts, and chips I’d been getting in the habit of eating recently, so enter The Whole 30 program.

I had the start date written on the calendar and was 100% mentally prepared.  The mental part is important.  Your brain can talk you out of anything if you let it.  I started May 2nd, so I’ve been on it a whole 2 days now.  The cravings of chocolate and chips are strong, but I shut those thoughts down by asking myself, “Am I hungry enough to eat a plate of spinach?”  If the answer is no, I drink water.  If the answer is yes, then I eat something I’ve prepared in advance so I do not fail and give in.  Again, it’s only been 2 days, but I’m hoping that I will remain strong for the entire 30 days.  Okay, not hoping, I WILL remain strong for the entire 30 days.

The foods I’ll miss and crave most are oatmeal and peanut butter, every single form of chocolate, cookie and cake, chocolate milk (I already said chocolate, didn’t I), cheese, nuts, and chips/crisps.  For my pre-run carb load, it will be a baked potato with clarified butter, although I haven’t figured out how I’m going to fuel in the middle of my long runs yet.  Maybe I can make some banana mash, place it in a baggie, and I’ll have my own GU minus all the added sugar.  I don’t know.  (For those who don’t know, GU is a nasty gel a lot of runners are forced to consume in the midst of a long run to keep their energy levels up.)

Mmmm, tastes just like bacon!!

I’ve also had to give up my morning, mid-day, and afternoon cups of tea as I use sweetener.  I now start my day with a nice cold glass of iced tea.  Super glad it’s warming up or I’d be missing my cup of hot chocolate too!  (Seeeee!  Wayyy too much chocolate!!  It’s a good thing I don’t drink soda or I’d be hurtin’ for certain!)

My other goal during this time is to do something 6 days a week, not just on scheduled run days. Yesterday I ran.  Today I was supposed to go for a bike ride, but the heavens opened up and gave us a storm from hell, so I did nothing.  A minor set-back… I’ll start again tomorrow as I’m scheduled for another 3 miles.  (And for those who are anal about their numbers… yes, I should’ve ran around until my watch said 3.1.)

And finally…

The child is having a great time in Hawaii without his parents.  Am I the only one who thinks this is completely unfair?!!

I’ll leave you now with a song for MMM… this came on during my race in Reno.  Oh the irony.  “Sucker for Pain.”  Yes indeedy.

Have a happy weekend!!

42 thoughts on “A Smidge of an Update

1. Susan Leighton

Congrats to you and James for making it through the Reno race. Having lived in Albuquerque, it is harder doing exercise at higher altitudes. Good luck on your Whole 30 program. I hope it works for you, Paula.

2. Fallon @ Slacker Runner

Sorry the race was rough, I’ve never run at altitude so I can’t imagine how hard that would be. Good luck with Whole 30, I am supposed to be low carb (doctors orders) but I fail. Which is quite evident in how much pizza I eat. 🙂

1. neveradullbling Post author

Thanks Fallon! Low carb is hard, especially when you’re a runner. The real test for this Whole 30 thing and my spirit is going to be after long-run Sunday. You know how it is… #rungry! ;D

3. wanderwolf

Urgh. Sounds like a really tough race, but a fun racaction? I’m glad for you two that you dropped down in distances. Next months marathon/half will be easier for all of this!
    Jealous of AJ too…
    nice recap! Short and sweet 🙂

1. neveradullbling Post author

Yes, very fun racecation, and I knew, after studying that course and elevation, we were totally going to suffer if we stayed with our normal distances. Lol, we suffered regardless! 😁
      Thanks Dorothea! Hoping for a normal and better race next month!! At sea level!! 😉

4. Janet wilson

Whoever said it was easy shedding the pounds!!! I have peddle/walked 60k for just a couple of pounds but hey no pain no gain as they say. Temptation oh its hard soooo I won’t mention the goodies I have ready to pack. Keep going!! Jx

1. neveradullbling Post author

Hahahaha, omg, the goodies! When you get here I’ll still have about a week to go, so you and James are on your own with dessert, 😀 But once that race is over, it will be celebration time in the normal style! 😁

5. mariegriffith

Paula, good for you for trying Whole 30. My daughters have both done Whole 30 and are actually on their 3rd round of it. Last year I did 12 weeks of Paleo and eat that way most of the time now. All of us are healthier eaters becasue we’ve learned how to nourish our bodies well. You’ll have a couple of days that are really difficult but stick with it!! You’ll be amazed how much better you feel and you’ll learn a lot.

1. neveradullbling Post author

I looked into Paleo a long time ago, and it’s quite similar, isn’t it! I don’t think I was ready to make the change back then so I didn’t pursue it. And that’s wonderful all of you have adopted a more healthy lifestyle, that’s what counts! I already feel better from just the couple of days I’ve been doing this, energy has increased, stomach feels flatter. It’s a great feeling! Thank you Marie!

6. Chocolaterunsjudy

Heck, I would’ve gone in the child’s place. 🙂 Our favorite place (although we’ve spent the most time on Kauia, and I’ll probably do my half there, although sometimes I think maybe the big island cause we haven’t spent as much time there . . . with Giz getting so elderly I’m not sure I want to pull the bullet on that one anytime soon. Of course, by the time he’s gone, then Lola will no doubt be pretty old, then Bandit . . . sigh.

I’ve done various challenges, but never the Whole 30. And I don’t plan to either, but good for you!

I do drink tea without any sweetener. Which actually started cause of racing!

1. neveradullbling Post author

So far we’ve done Maui and The Big Island (my favorite so far), and next year we’re going to visit Kauai, can’t wait! I agree, it’s so hard with all the fur children. I hate when I have to leave them, but am really glad when I go. I’d probably give up traveling if I had a dog, lol! 😀

1. Chocolaterunsjudy

We’ve been to the big 4 islands; twice to Maui, 3 x Kauia, only a few hours on Oahu (mostly to see Pearl Harbor) & a couple of days on the Big Island.

It’s not so much having the furkids (although it adds up), it’s more about when they get older & so many things can rear their ugly heads. And of course the same deal with the parents.

7. runningtotravel

Sorry to hear the race in Reno was so rough. I know how hard I struggled when I was in Colorado, so I completely understand. I’m jealous of your son! I’ve been wanting to go back to Hawaii, but there’s only so much time for travel. That darn job of mine gets in the way, but then again it pays the bills so I shouldn’t complain.

1. neveradullbling Post author

LOL, I know!! Stupid jobs! Always getting in the way of our fun, haha! After SLC and Reno, I’m terrified to do Colorado. I may just have to resign myself to “just finish… no matter what, just finish.” 😀

8. lynne hoareau

Sorry about the race Paula, sounds like it was hectic ! and on another note…..WOW ! for doing Whole 30 🙂 I love your inspiration…bowl of spinach yes/no hahaha. Yip, you have to do whatever works for you hey. Hope you do well with it. Your son must be having a blast !!! Hang on, something is wrong here…son…Hawaii…mom….spinach/whole 30/no hot tea need I carry on 🙂 🙂 🙂

9. Steph McCoy

Thanks for the info on the Whole 30 – don’t think I could do it but I’m always looking for healthier alternatives especially with my high cholesterol. Good luck to you!! As an avid runner and one who can endure high altitudes at that, you got this!!

1. Steph McCoy

Hey Paula, I thought I sent you the following comment but come to find out I sent it to the wrong person. 😱 Wanted to make sure you got it: I hear you. But I like what you said about asking yourself if you’re hungry for something and if not you drink a glass of water. I’m going to try to remember this tip. I gave up candy last year and while for the most part the cravings are gone out of the clear blue sky I get a yen for some sweets.

2. neveradullbling Post author

It’s can just all-around be challenging, the cravings and wants. So far the water had helped, but it’d be nice if the craving switched to something I could actually eat, lol!

10. Pingback: Grumpy Sunday Runday | Never A Dull Bling