Okay, really… it shouldn’t be a surprise that I’m doing a weekly summary! I just ran a half-marathon last week! Of course I’m going to put my mileage in black and white! 😉 But actually, have you ever noticed that when you go on vacation, it’s not truly restful? You’re on the go all the time, so much to see, so much to do! It’s probably the most active you’ll be all year!! Hence, I’m documenting those miles because they totally count. I wore my Garmin watch all the time as I wanted credit for all those steps I took!
January 16 — Our first full day in Maui, the day before the race. This is the day I wanted to stay off my feet. I logged 7.85 miles… but only 1 of them was actually spent running. I’m sure the rest of them were spent lollygagging. My biggest mistake here was not wearing my running shoes the entire day.
January 17 — Race day! 17.75 miles or 34,901 steps. Cooool! I kinda like the way the steps log. They look way impressive. For those who don’t race or run, there is a lot of going to and fro’ on race day, so the set mileage of the race isn’t the only mileage you get.
January 18 — (Monday, in case you’ve lost track). Keeping in mind this is the day after the race, so with a lot of soreness and ouchies… 4.97 miles. One mile was dedicated to running… the rest were dedicated to visiting the pool, bar, and whatever food we could find and get to easily. We also meandered around the resort to stretch… it only hurt when we stopped. 🙂
January 19 — 5.49 miles. We walked to Castaway Cafe to have brunch, then hung out by the pool, just as it should be!
January 20 — 5.53 miles. Really, more of the same… blah, blah, blah, pool. 🙂
January 21 — 3.54 miles. Okay… this kills me. We spent the entire day on our feet at the Maui Ocean Center. It felt like we walked for miles and miles. This was the least amount of mileage recorded.
January 22 — 2.5 miles… homeward bound. Oh how sad. One mile was dedicated to running, and I’m guessing 1.5 miles was from traipsing around the two airports!
January 23 — 2 miles. First day at home… I don’t even know how I got 2 miles to be honest! Only 1 was actually dedicated to running.
January 24 — 3.31. A 2-mile streak run with the rest of it being logged as doing normal, boring, everyday tasks, such as grocery shopping.
Total miles (for the past 8 days): 52.94. I kinda wish every week could be this productive!! And if you want to get super technical, if I knock last Saturday’s mileage off, then total mileage for the 7 days would be 45.09. Proof positive we are more active on vacation than not, 😀
- Slappy Cakes — Fabulous breakfast/brunch food! Make your own pancakes on the skillet at your table or have them made. They also serve breakfast skillets and other breakfast items. 5 stars!
- Castaway Cafe — I had biscuits and gravy with eggs. To die for! Best gravy ever! They’re a cafe on the boardwalk, so they serve everything. 4 stars! But only 4 because the service was a bit slow. They only had 1 person at noon helping the entire restaurant.
- Maui Brewing Company — Home made chips/crisps! The burgers are wonderful! Apparently so is the Brisket Dip Sandwich! It’s a brewing company… beer is home brewed, so quite delicious as well! 5 stars!
- Coconut Fish Cafe — With a name like that, how can you go wrong! A favorite amongst the locals! 5 stars! (I don’t usually eat my fries, but these I couldn’t resist).
- Plantation House Golf Course — Views of the ocean were killer! Fish and chips were fantastic! 5 stars! Go there! This is a must if you’re ever in Maui! (Beware of very small parking spaces).
Sadly, I think that’s it for Maui for this year. Time to get back to reality as my training plan picks up again on Tuesday! But then again, training is half the fun, so I look forward to the challenge, especially as I’ve learned a lot from running the Maui Oceanfront Half-Marathon!
Do you find that you’re more active on vacation than you are any other day of the year?